The National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and former Lagos State Governor, Bola Tinubu, has said there are many questions to ask about the collapse of a 21-storey building on Gerald Road, Ikoyi, Lagos.
The APC chieftain added that despite the “collective pain and grief” what he and others should learn from the tragedy was to “be clear and focused. Let us use this tragedy to serve as a strong warning and deterrent to end any misconduct that might in any way contribute to such an incident.”
On Tuesday, the state government announced setting up an independent panel constituting members from Nigeria Institute of Architects (NIA), Nigerian Institute of Town Planners Nigeria Society of Engineers and other professional bodies to probe the collapse of the 21-storey building on Gerrard Road, Ikoyi.
Also, the governor promised that the government will surely find out what went wrong and punish those indicted.
He further ordered the suspension of the General Manager of the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA), Gbolahan Oki.
Reacting to the collapse of the building, Tinubu described the event as a sad and painful one decrying the loss of lives, adding that the tragic incident should never have occurred.
As of Tuesday, about 20 bodies had been recovered from the rubble at the site of the collapsed building.
In a commiseration message issued in Lagos on Tuesday, Tinubu said, “I endorse Gov. Babajide Sanwo-olu’s order for an investigation into this tragedy. There are many questions to ask, and all those questions deserve full and public answers.
“The collapse of a 21-storey building in Ikoyi, Lagos, is a sad and painful incident. Once more and all too often, we have suffered the loss of lives for no defensible reason. This tragedy should never have occurred.
“It is obvious to us that something went terribly wrong. If indeed intentional or reckless wrongdoing has been committed, appropriate sanctions should find those who have been found to have shirked their fundamental responsibilities.
“Workers at the site and, for that matter no one who is simply trying to work in order to care for their loved ones, should have their lives abbreviated in such a manner. No-one should suffer what these people suffered. Families should not have to hear such news and bear such burden.
“Search-and-rescue efforts must continue non-stop until they were able to bring out whoever is still trapped in the rubble.
“As much as we are in collective pain and grief, we must also be clear and focused. Let us use this tragedy to serve as a strong warning and deterrent to end any misconduct that might in any way contribute to such an incident.
“We must never become numb to the tragedies that befall others; we must work and strive to put an end to these frightening events and the brutal, but avoidable deaths that go with them,’’ Tinubu stated.