Human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore on Sunday night visited the University of Abuja professor, Bassey Ubom, who was among those kidnapped recently at the university’s staff quarters.
Some gunmen had recently invaded the University of Abuja’s senior staff quarters at Giri in the Gwagwalada Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and operated for about an hour.
Ubom, who is a Professor of Science and Environmental Education, was one of the six persons abducted alongside his nine year-old-son.
However, Professor Ubom’s daughter, who identified herself as Praise, said she was not in the house when the said incident occurred.
She, nonetheless, explained that her “mother was taken away too but released”.
“We don’t know the reason but my younger brother who is just nine years old was beaten and taken away.
“Before releasing my mother, they slapped her when she said she had no money which they demanded.
“My younger brother who was asleep was woken up with a machete; they hit him before taking them away,” she said while crying.
Sowore, who posted pictures and videos of his visit to Prof. Bassey Ubom’s home on his social media handles on Monday, said he met the nine-year-old boy. He described him as an incredibly courageous young boy.
He noted that the boy drank water from the same pond with cattle and was separated from his loving mother at gunpoint.
The post reads: “On Sunday I met an incredibly courageous young boy, his name is ‘Tete,’ he’s the 9-year-old son of a University of Abuja Professor, Bassey Ubom, kidnapped last week at UNIABUJA Staff Quarters.
“Tete walked hundreds of kilometres in the wild, drank water from the same pond as cattle, was separated from his loving mother at gunpoint before he was eventually ‘rescued’ last week.
“This is the story of little kids and adults in today’s unsafe and insecure Nigeria mismanaged and misgoverned by morons! #Revolutionnow,” the post stated.
Meanwhile, a voice in the background of the video posted by Sowore noted that “at some point the boy was tied, the leg got soured and he could not walk fast, they started beating him, after walking for days.”
It was earlier reported that a day after their abduction, the kidnappers contacted the families of the victims and demanded N300 million as a condition for their release.
The Police Public Relations Officer of the Federal Capital Territory Command, DSP Josephine Adeh later confirmed their release.
She said the development followed efforts made by the command in a joint operation with other security agencies.
She stated that some suspects linked to the crime have been nabbed by security operatives.